The first evidence of the existence of Ardrossan Se
afield Football Club is a report in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 23 March 1878. It read 'A football match was played on the ground of Ardrossan (probably on 16 March 1878) and resulted in favour of the Ardeer by two goals to one.'. There are indicators that the club went bankrupt in 1881 then reformed in 1889.

The original club's home games were played at Clutha Park, a field between Glasgow Street and Paisley Street in what is now Young Street. The houses in the photograph below left were built on Clutha Park. The reformed Ardrossan Seafield played its home games on Seafield Park. This was probably the ground in front of Quarriers Seafield, previously Seafield School, in Eglinton Road or nearby. It was also known as Brennan's Field and is shown below right.


Seafield became the first Ardrossan team to play a competitive match when it met Ayr in the Ayrshire Cup on 18 October 1879.

The Seafield Committee maintained a minute book in the first five months of 1879. Minutes of five meetings can be read in Documents - 1879.


Seafield's 3-3 home draw with Barkip on 18 March 1882 was its last reported game for over seven years. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 28 June 1889 made a reference to Seafield's bankruptcy. On 30 November 1889, Seafield resumed playing with a 5-1 away victory over Ardeer and played several games till January 1892. After a gap of nearly three years, Ardrossan Seafield played again in late 1894, its last reported match being a 5-1 away defeat to Stevenston Thistle on 1 December 1894. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 7 December 1894 indicated that Seafield was 'taking steps to secure a field' but this did not materialise.

On 6 February 1892, a new team, Ardrossan Seafield Strollers, played its first reported game. On 24 September 1898, another new team, Ardrossan Seafield Athletic played its only reported match. There is uncertainty over any link among the three Seafield clubs.