ENSIGN FOOTBALL CLUB 1878-89
The first reports on Ardrossan Ensign Football Club were in Ardrossan and Saltcoats
Heralds of late 1878.
ARDROSSAN - WANDERERS v ENSIGN
30 November 1878 - A match was played by these two clubs on Saturday last (23
November 1878) on the ground of the former. The play was very even throughout
but at the close, the Ensign were the victors by three goals - and one
disputed - to one.
SALTCOATS THISTLE 1 - ARDROSSAN ENSIGN 1
7 December 1878 - A friendly match was played between these two clubs on the ground
of the former and after an evenly contested game resulted in a draw - one goal
There were no reports from 1880 to 1883. This suggests that Ardrossan Ensign Football
Club was formed in 1878, disbanded in 1879 and reformed in 1884.
Ensign played some of its home games at Seafield
Park and some at Annfield Park. Ensign
played its first competitive match when it met Newmilns in the Ayrshire Cup on
25 September 1886.
The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 16 August 1889 carried the article below.
ARDROSSAN ENSIGN CHANGES ITS NAME TO ARDROSSAN FOOTBALL CLUB
With regard to the Ardrossan Ensign, a change of name, I learn, has just been
agreed upon by the members which will in future be known as the Ardrossan
Football Club. Recently, a general meeting of the members was held at which
the following office bearers were appointed. Honorary President: Dr MacDonald,
President: Mr James A Crawford, Vice President: Mr Thomas Rixon, Captain: Mr D
Kinnear, Honorary Secretary: Mr John Hogarth, Match Secretary and Treasurer: Mr
John Comrie. The field is expected to be ready this week for practice and intending
members should now come forward. The opening match for the ensuing season takes
place at Seafield Park on Saturday 24 August when the local "jags" will
have their guests the Clyde Strollers.
In summary, Ardrossan Ensign Football Club was formed in 1878, disbanded in 1879,
reformed in 1884 and lost its identity in 1889 when it was renamed Ardrossan