NON-FOOTBALL STORIES 1945
While looking through old documents, it is almost inevitable that the reader's attention will be drawn from the intended target to other articles. The reports below were found in old Scotsman newspapers. Although they have no football content, they may be of interest.
SALTCOATS MINISTER FATALLY INJURED IN ROAD ACCIDENT
The Reverend James Adams, senior minister of Trinity Church, Saltcoats, died in Kilmarnock Infirmary after being knocked down by a motor van in Barrie Terrace, Ardrossan on Tuesday night (16 January 1945). Mr Adams went to Trinity Church from Saint Andrew’s Square Church, Greenock, in 1902 and retired with the status of senior minister in 1933. Three years ago, he celebrated his jubilee as a minister. He was formerly a member of Ayrshire Education Authority and was also for some years a member of Saltcoats Town Council and a magistrate of the burgh. He is survived by his wife, four sons and one daughter.
The Scotsman, 18 January 1945
NEW ARDROSSAN DOCK
On Friday (28 February 1845), the splendid wet dock at Ardrossan, planned and commenced about forty years ago by the grandfather of the present Earl of Eglinton, but which has only now been completed, was formally opened amidst great rejoicings in the presence of a distinguished party of the neighbouring gentry and a vast concourse of spectators. The dock contains about four imperial acres of surface and has a graving and a slip dock connected with it for the repair of vessels and a place for the discharge of timber.
The Scotsman, 5 March 1945
This story was published under the heading 100 Years Ago.
FORTHCOMING MARRIAGE – MR GEORGE WILSON AND MISS
The marriage of George Wilson, son of James Wilson, Craigie, Ardrossan and Lucy, daughter of the Reverend F J Rae and Mrs Rae, Agra Lodge, Ferry Road, will take place in Saint Serf’s Church on Saturday 7 July at 1.45.
The Scotsman, 22 June 1945
FORTHCOMING MARRIAGE – MAJOR J S F McDAVID AND MISS
H M STUDD
The engagement is announced between Major J S F McDavid, The Royal Scots Fusiliers, younger son of Dr J W McDavid, CBE and Mrs McDavid, Crescent Park, Ardrossan, Ayrshire and Heather Marion Studd, VAD, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs E B T Studd of Little Warrens, Stanton, near Broadway, Worcester.
The Scotsman, 25 June 1945
ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD’S WAR RECORD
Since the outbreak of war till the end of June this year, Ardrossan Dockyard Limited, Ardrossan, have launched, fitted out and completed twenty-five new ships – eleven minesweeping trawlers and four boom defence ships for the Admiralty, two cargo ships for the Ministry of War Transport and one cattle and general cargo ship and seven general cargo ships for private owners. 745 ships including 49 submarines, 31 destroyers and 10 frigates, have been dry-docked for repair and altogether 3825 actual jobs of shipbuilding, ship repairing and conversion and engineering have been dealt with.
The Scotsman, 17 August 1945
ARDROSSAN YOUTH FATALLY INJURED AT FIREWORKS
While watching a victory bonfire and fireworks display on the Castle Hill, Ardrossan, William Dickson, (15), 44 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, was struck by a rocket and injured so seriously that he died shortly after his admission to Kilmarnock Infirmary. The rocket was lying on the platform preparatory to being fired and it was accidentally set of by a squib thrown from among the crowd.
The Scotsman, 17 August 1945
ARDROSSAN FACTORY’S WAR RECORD
During the war, the Ardrossan refinery of the Shell Refining and Marketing Company Limited handled about one-and-a-half millions tons of oil. In addition, the Company operated a can factory erected for the Air Ministry at Inches Road and another one at Glenfoot erected for the War Office. Under their charge also was camouflaged underground storage for oil, built at Montfode, both for the Air Ministry and the Ministry of Supply.
The Scotsman, 17 October 1945
NEW BURGH CHAMERLAIN FOR ARDROSSAN
Ardrossan Town Council has appointed Mr William Ramsey, assistant burgh chamberlain to be burgh chamberlain in succession to Miss J Adams who is retiring.
The Scotsman, 20 December 1945