While looking through old documents, it is almost inevitable that the reader's attention will be drawn from the intended target to other articles. The reports below were found in old Scotsman newspapers. Although they have no football content, they may be of interest.

At a meeting of the Presbytery of Ardrossan, the Reverend Robert Whiteford, Park Church, Ardrossan, intimated that, on the ground of ill-health, he desired to demit his charge and he asked for the appointment of a colleague and successor.
The Scotsman, 5 February 1942

At the monthly meeting of the Presbytery of Ardrossan, it was reported that the number of church members within the Presbytery at the end of 1941 was 21450, an increase of 121 compared with the total at the end of the previous year.  Christian liberality during 1941 amounted to 37194, an increase of 3120 and the subscriptions from within the Presbytery for foreign missions showed an increase of 84.
The Scotsman, 5 March 1942

After having been adrift in the Atlantic for twelve days, in an open lifeboat from which he and eight companions were rescued by an American seaplane, William McMillan, 13 Hill Street, Ardrossan, has returned home.  McMillan was one of eight Ardrossan and Saltcoats members of the crew of a tanker which was sunk by a German submarine and the other seven are missing.  Out of a total crew of fifty, only the nine men picked up by the seaplane are known to have been saved.  No news has been heard of the remainder.  The Ardrossan and Saltcoats members of the crew missing are Frank McQuade, David McCubbin, Roderick Brown and William Brown, all of Ardrossan and Alexander McMillan, William Docherty and a seaman named Shields, all of Saltcoats.  The tanker was torpedoed twice and, though heavy seas were running, the submarine surfaced and shelled the vessel.  The wireless installation was carried away and one the vessel’s four lifeboats were destroyed.  “In the confusion caused by the shelling and the heavy seas” said McMillan “only six of us were able to get into one lifeboat.  Forty-one of the crew got into the other two lifeboats and three others launched a raft.  We all got clear of the vessel before she sank.  We were able to drag the three men on the raft, one of whom was the third officer, into our boat.  It was decided to lay a course for Bermuda, the nearest landfall.  For fifteen hours, the boats kept together until the storm increased in violence to such an extent that sea anchors had to be dropped.  When visibility improved, there was no trace of the other two lifeboats.  Gales and high seas continued for eleven days” added McMillan.  On the twelfth day, the wind fell away entirely.  Suddenly, they saw a seaplane sweep out of her course and fly towards them.  The plane came down on the sea and took the nine aboard.
The Scotsman, 24 March 1942

Mr R J Sim, Justice of the Peace, Head Postmaster, Peterhead, has been appointed Head Postmaster at Rothesay in succession to Mr A Pow, who has been appointed to Ardrossan.  The Sim family has a remarkable record of Post Office service dating back to the reign of George IV.
The Scotsman, 17 June 1942

A British restaurant, sponsored by Ardrossan Town Council, and in premises formerly occupied by Ardrossan Unionist Club, was formally opened on Saturday (11 July 1942) by Sir James Peck, Chief Divisional Food Officer for Scotland.  Over 170 diners can be accomodated at a time and it is estimated that 400 meals can be served during the two hours the restaurant will be open each day for luncheons.
The Scotsman, 13 July 1942
British Restaurants were communal kitchens created in 1940 during the Second World War to help people who had been bombed out of their homes, had run out of ration coupons or otherwise needed help.  They were set up by the Ministry of Food and run by local government or voluntary agencies on a non-profit basis.

Seven persons have now died from smallpox since the presence of the disease was discovered in Glasgow several weeks ago.  Four of the victims were citizens of Glasgow, another resided in Ardrossan while the other two were members of the crew of the ship on board which the disease was first reported.  The latest patient to succumb was a married woman of about twenty who contracted the disease early in the outbreak while her younger sister, one of the earliest contacts, has made a good recovery.  No case is described as dangerously ill.  A further case, described as mild, was admitted to hospital from Argyll on Saturday (25 July 1942).
The Scotsman, 27 July 1942