While looking through old documents, it is almost inevitable that the reader's attention will be drawn from the intended target to other articles. The reports below were found in old newspapers. Although they have no football content, they may be of interest.


The overdue Headline steamer, Inishowen, had arrived today disabled, from Ardrossan, after a voyage which officers say they thought would end in the loss of the shop with all on board.  Off the mouth of the Bay of Fundy on Sunday last (17 March 1907), a key in the shafting broke, rendering the engines useless.  Every bit of canvas - even awnings - were used to make headway while the engineers worked to repair the damage.  For two days conditions continued thus and then came the terrific storm of Wednesday.  The ship was hove-to and was battered about in huge seas and it was feared she would never come through the experience. She rode out the storm, however, and the engines having been temporarily repaired, managed to make port unaided.  She will repair here and load for the United Kingdom.
Lewiston Daily Sun, 23 March 1907


A thrilling story of adventure and privation of the Glasgow ship Glencairn, who were landed at Liverpool by the Pacific Steam Navigation Company's steamer Orita.  The ship, which was commanded by Captain John Nichol of Ardrossan, carried a crew of twenty, and there was also on board Captain Nichol's wife and the wife of the steward.  The Glencairn was bound from Rochester to Seattle and Tacoma with a general cargo and went ashore at Cape San Paulo, off Terra del Feugo, on 22 July during fog. The Glencairn afterwards sank.  On leaving the sinking ship the misfortunes of the party were intensified by the capsising of one of the two lifeboats which were launched.  Seaman Morley was washed away and the dead body of seaman Schmidt was found under the overturned boat about two hours after it had capsised.  A Swedish seaman named Edward Gustafson had a perilous struggle for life.  He scrambled on to the top of the upset boat and, despite the severity of the weather and a violent snowstorm, clung to his precarious position until rescued.  On reaching the shore the shipwrecked party, which included the wife of Captain John Nichol and Mrs Parry, wife of the steward, made wood fires and secured shelter as best they could, erecting temporary tents. The bitter coldness of the atmosphere, however, and the scantiness of provisions were keenly felt, more particularly by the ladies.  They came into contact with a tribe of Indians inhabiting the territory on which they were stranded and, learning that a British missionary was stationed some miles away, they succeeded in getting into communication with him.  Horses were found for the two ladies and the men walked twenty-five miles to the mission settlement.  The remainder of the overland journey was made by the whole of the company mounted on horseback.  On reaching Punta Arenas they were hospitably treated, and thanks to the good offices of the British Consul, through whose agency they were shipped to Liverpool by the Orita.
            Pittsburgh Gazette Times, 29 September 1907