While looking through old documents, it is almost inevitable that the reader's attention will be drawn from the intended target to other articles. Most of the reports below were found in old Ardrossan and Saltcoats Heralds. Although they have no football content, they may be of interest.

It may not be generally known that for twelve months, through the liberality of a number of generous friends, Miss Wright has been employed in Ardrossan as a sick nurse in cases of sickness in families whose circumstances could not afford skilled help. From the report to be issued in a few days, we observe seventy-four cases have been dealt with and a number of the cases noted were of such a nature as to show the necessity that existed for such a benevolent agency. Now that the scheme has proved itself to be a good one by its fruits, the hope may be cherished that it will not fail for want of funds. "I was sick and ye visited me." The income for the year, we observe, was £44 13s 4d and the expenditure was £44 8s 7d giving a balance on hand of 4s 9d.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 30 January 1891

A report by the Sanitary Inspector on the various matters falling within his province was submitted and read. The report stated that the complaint regarding overcrowding of a cowshed had been obviated by the owner of the cows having reduced their number and the premises were now in a satisfactory state.
            Minute Book of the Local Authority of the Burgh of Ardrossan, 10 February 1891

We learn that Mr James Robertson, son of Mr John Robertson, harbour foreman, was successful in passing as chief engineer at the Board of Trade examination last week. Mr Robertson is a promising young man and it is hoped he has a prosperous career before him.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 February 1891

Curling was indulged in here by a number of local players on the Mill Pond (shown below as Millglen Caravan Park in 2006) on Wednesday (11 March 1891) with great interest. The ice was in very good condition up till the afternoon when a slight thaw set in.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 March 1891

As will be seen from our advertising columns, a preliminary meeting of this club is being held on Monday first (16 March 1891). It is hoped there will be a good attendance.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 March 1891

'You never miss the water till the well runs dry' is a proverb the truth of which was brought home to some of our townsfolk last Sunday morning (15 March 1891). Even in this reading age, odd specimens are occasionally met who can't or who won't read the newspapers. Consequently, these benighted individuals, not having perused a report of the proceedings at the last monthly meeting of the Ardrossan Commissioners, were unaware of their intention, as expressed by the Provost, to turn off the water supply from Saturday night till Monday morning. Others again who suffer from that commonest of failings - a bad memory - having read the notice made up their minds to be prepared against a scarcity by laying in a stock of water on Saturday evening but, putting down the paper, they straightway turned their attentions to other matters and forgot all about their little plans till they went to perform their ablutions on Sunday morning. However, as water was available at most of the washing-house taps, things were hardly so bad as during a water famine at a neighbouring watering-place a couple of summers ago when we heard of a worldly couple who were reduced to such terrible straits that the husband had to use a glass of beer to shave with while the missus washed her face in a bottle of lemonade.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 March 1891

Early on Saturday morning (14 March 1891), the Caledonian Railway Station (shown below in the early 1910s) narrowly escaped being seriously damaged by fire. It seems that one of the workmen was passing through the pan-house with a kindling when some of the ashes fell among sawdust and oil which were lying on the floor near a case of glass and straw, a lot of empty wastebags and two barrels of oil. A boy in Montgomerie Street observed flames issuing forth from the windows and gave the alarm at the station and the fire was extinguished before oil barrels burst but the other materials were burned. The roof of the pan-house was slightly damaged.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 March 1891

At the Ardrossan Burgh Court on Monday morning, Provost Hogarth presiding, a porter at the Caledonian Railway Station (shown above in the early 1910s) and two small boys appeared to answer to a charge of wheeling vehicles on the pavement to the damage of same and the annoyance of pedestrians. They each pled guilty the former alleging in extenuation that he did not know that he was in fault and thought the policeman was joking when he warned him off. They were each dismissed with an admonition.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 March 1891

Miss Mary Emslie, Ardrossan, was successful in gaining the second prize at a competing for the best rendering of Scottish songs held in Mr Julius Seligmann's Conservatoire of Music, Glasgow last Saturday afternoon (4 April 1891).
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 10 April 1891

On the morning of Sabbath 29 March, Mr A D Bryce-Douglas (shown right around 1890 from a photograph by John Fergus of Largs) landed at Ardrossan from the Empress of Japan, then on her trial trip and after a week of severe suffering died at Seafield Tower, his residence here on the morning of Sabbath last (4 April 1891). Need we say a shadow of a great sorrow hung over the community of Ardrossan all week. It was known that Dr Macdonald was in all but constant attendance, that Dr Moore, Glasgow, made daily visits, that enquiries by telegraph were coming from all parts of the country and day by day the first enquiry in the morning and the last at night was an anxious enquiry as to his condition and this and this anxiety was not to be wondered at. The parish was proud of the eminence he had attained as a marine engineer. He was the son of their old parish minister whose qualities as a preacher and freedom from denominational prejudices were still remembered. He had purchased Seafield Tower because of old it had been in the family. The poor he had helped. The New Parish Church had the benefit of his large-hearted generous contributions for late improvements and hundreds of young men were indebted to him for situations at Fairfield, at Barrow and in other parts of the world. All this had endeared him to the community. He was looked up to because of his genius for unquestionably, he was a mechanical genius of a high order. He was respected for his great administrative abilities as a large employer. He was one of the kings of labour and liked for his warm-hearted kindly deeds, his frank intercourse with gentle and simple and his independent bearing. When his death became known, there was everywhere in the district an expression of sincere sorrow. It was felt that Commerce had sustained a great loss and that the poor and the needy were the poorer and the more helpless because he had passed away. Nor was this feeling confined to his native parish. All last week, a like anxiety was felt by all classes at Barrow, by Lord Harrington and the other noblemen and gentlemen associated with him in the works there and when the news of his death became known, public testimony was borne to the respect in which he was held by the display of flags half-mast high on public buildings, on public works, on shipping and elsewhere. Mr Bryce-Douglas was born at The Manse, Saltcoats on 3 October 1840 being the youngest son of the late Reverend John Bryce, parish minister of Ardrossan. He was educated at Irvine Academy under Dr White, master of the Commercial department and afterwards at Glasgow High School under Dr Bryce, finishing at the university. Like many another son of the manse, young Bryce was destined by his parents for the ministry of the church but his bent lay in another direction and as from his earliest days, he had a mind and a will of his own. His father wisely gave way and allowed him to carve out his own path through life. Indeed, if it be true that the boy is father to the man in the case of those who rise to distinction, it was so in his. 'Still life' was unknown to him as a boy. His restless energy even then was conspicuous. When seventeen years of age, he was apprenticed to Mr Robert Drape, joiner, Ardrossan with whom he remained for two years. He also served for one year as a mill-wright with Mr Hendry, West Kilbride but not yet had he found his vocation and at the end of that time, he removed to Glasgow and entered the engineering establishment of Randolph, Elder and Company then situated in Centre Street, in the evenings attending classes for the study of mechanics at the Andersonian University. In Messrs Randolph, Elder and Company's employ, he found congenial work and throwing himself into it with all the ardour of his nature, he soon attracted the attention of Mr Randolph, the head of the firm who predicted for him, even at that early age, a distinguished career but he was not content to remain for more than a few years in the Centre Street establishment. He had always been possessed by a spirit of adventure and early in the sixties he shipped as a passenger in a sailing vessel for Auckland where he had the promise of taking charge of an important machinery plant. On the way out, the carpenter died and Mr Bryce was offered and accepted the situation rendered thus vacant. On arriving in New Zealand, the Maori war had just broken out and taking the situation in at a glance, he soon found an opportunity of working his passage with a well-known captain with one of our ocean liners to the Pacific coast. For about a year, he was in the service of the Peruvian Navy at the end of which time he was offered and accepted a situation as seagoing engineer with the Pacific Steam Navigation Company. In the year 1865, he revisited Scotland and after taking a few months with his friends and taking his examination for extra first-class engineer, in which he was successful, he returned to Callao to become assistant engineer of the Pacific Company. This position he occupied till 1869. In that year, the headquarters of the company were removed from the island of Tobogo in the Bay of Panama to Callao on the establishment of a line of steamers to sail direct between Liverpool and Valparaiso and a vacancy taking place at the same time in the office of the superintending engineer through the resignation of Mr Jamieson. Mr Bryce received the appointment which he held for a period of six or seven years. On his way home an incident occurred which was an index of the character of the man. A small coal-laden vessel had stranded in the Bay of Panama. He took with him, from Callao, a staff of men and the necessary appliances with the view of raising her. On arriving in the bay, he learned that the Tagus, one of the Royal Mail Company's steamers had gone ashore near Colon. Unable, on account of the heavy sea, to accomplish the work he had come to do, he crossed the Isthmus with his staff and appliances and successfully carried out the more difficult of raising the Targus. The other vessel was also raised in due course, Mr Bryce, not only directing, but taking an active part of working in the diving bells and repairing the hulls, his fertility of resource being displayed on occasion by the employment of a locomotive to work the pumps. For the raising of the steamer, the Pacific Company claimed £30000 as salvage on the ground that Mr Bryce had used their appliance. This claim Mr Bryce resisted and raised an action in the Court of Session which proved unsuccessful. On carrying his case, however, to the House of Lords, his contention was partially sustained and he received a sum of £6000. Shortly after his return to this country, Mr Bryce resumed his connection with the firm in which he had received his early training becoming head of the engineering department at the Fairfield Works which were then carried on under the denomination of Messrs John Elder and Company. He had found, as told us, the first month of absolute rest delightful after the close attention of everyday work of previous years, the second became wearisome and before the close of the third, he was again glad to be in harness. He remained at the Fairfield Works until he removed to Barrow in 1888. The history of the Fairfield Works during that period it is unnecessary to recapitulate. Briefly, it may be stated it was during this time that the Arizona, Alaska and Oregon and other vessels for the Cunard fleet were built and that the revolution in the construction of ocean-going steamers, which has not yet seen its close, was commenced. The whole of these vessels were engined under the superintendence of Mr Bryce-Douglas as well as the Orient, the Austral and the Ormuz for the Orient Line. He also constructed the engines for the Czar's yacht, the Livadin for the Italian iron-clad Magicienne and for several of the numerous vessels for the British Navy which were turned out of the Fairfield yard. He also re-engined the Russian warship, Peter The Great. Mr Bryce-Douglas's connection with Barrow commenced in 1886 when engines of his design were built under his supervision for the Navigation Steam Navigation Company's Orula and Orizaba which were constructed by the Barrow Shipbuilding Company. These were two of the earliest examples of engines of the triple expansion type put into ocean-going steamers. In 1888, influenced by Lord Harrington and other capitalists, Mr Bryce-Douglas accepted the position of managing director of the Naval Construction and Armaments Company which took over the works of the Barrow Shipbuilding Company. The latter company had all along been an unsuccessful enterprise but, under the new regime, several and extensions were made and new plant and machinery were laid down. Important contracts were soon secured which rapidly brought about a renewal of activity in the shipbuilding and engineering trades of the port. Among the first orders, Mr Bryce-Douglas procured were four steamers of large size and full power for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, a number of steamers for the British and African Steam Navigation Company and for Messrs Elder, Dempster and Company of Liverpool. He also obtained the contract for three second-class cruisers to be built for the Admiralty all of which have been launched and one, the Latona, delivered while a second cruiser, the Melampus, will be handed over to the Admiralty at the close of this month. He also undertook the building of three high-speed 5000 tons steamers for the Caledonian Pacific Railway Company and intended for the service between Vancouver and Japan and China. The pioneer of these steamers, the Empress of India, is now on her way from Hong Kong to Vancouver on her maiden voyage. The sister ship, the Empress of Japan, ran most successful trials last week as reported in another column and was taken over by her owners and the third steamer, the Empress of China was launched a fortnight ago. In the yard, there are at present building nine steamers of various sizes. There are over 5000 employees in the works and the weekly payments in the shape of wages amount to about £8500. Thus, if at Fairfield, Mr Bryce-Douglas made an advance on his achievements on the Pacific coast by constructing swifter-sailing steamers than companies up till that time constructed, it was at Barrow where he gave the fullest token of what he was capable of accomplishing. The directors had the fullest confidence in him, a confidence justified by his few years of management and with practically a free hand, he was further a development both as respects increased speed and beneficial results to commerce and civilisation which would have marked a new era in steam navigation. Long ago, at Fairfield, the idea was conceived of crossing the Atlantic by fast-sailing steamers of twin-screw, triple-expansion type from Liverpool to Canada in five days and then by equally fast-sailing steamers from Vancouver to Australia thus developing new routes to the east and establishing a new direct line from England to Australia, crossing the British territory of Canada by the Canadian Pacific Railway. Last autumn, he visited Canada to take the initiative in this great scheme and the Premier of the dominion, Mr John MacDonald granted him a grand subsidy of $750000 per annum for ten years if he would establish the line. Had he lived to carry out this scheme, it would have been regarded as one of the greatest conceptions in the history of Commerce and for the sake of the great works at Barrow, with which from henceforth his name will ever be connected, it is hoped that the proposed Imperial Steam Navigation Company will be formed and the enterprise entered upon in the spirit and confidence which commands success. No better monument could be raised to the memory of him whom Lord Brassey, at the launch of the cruiser Naiad, said was "a great benefactor to the place" than by realising his dream and for which it is said he had secured nigh a million of money. The immediate cause of death was a cold caught, it is believed, at the launch of the Empress of China and which developed into peritonitis. He was ill on board and was prescribed for by a medical gentleman of the party and when he landed at Ardrossan on a bitterly cold morning, he was able to walk to Seafield. No time was lost in calling in medical aid and all that human skill and good nursing could do was done for him. The inflammation, however, had got too firm a hold and a constitution, remarkable for its strength, succumbed and at the comparatively early age of fifty, a life of much usefulness and still greater promise came to a close. He had probably when at sea faced death too often to dread the approach at the last. This at least is certain, that when told the illness might have a fatal termination, he received the tidings with the greatest calmness and with the utmost composure, awaited the end. Beside possessing several patents, Mr Bryce-Douglas was proprietor of Seafield, Ardrossan (shown below left as Quarriers in 2008) which he purchased from the liquidation of the City of Glasgow Bank and greatly enlarged and beautified.

By inheritance, he was also the owner of Brownhill Estate in the parish of Dalry and Burnbrae Estate, Dumbartonshire and it was when entering into the possession of this last, on the death of his cousin Captain McAlister Douglas, that he took the name of Douglas. In politics, Mr Bryce-Douglas was an advanced Liberal and at the general election of 1885, he was approached with the view to his being brought forward as a candidate for the representation of the Burgh of Govan. Assurances were given of almost certain success but he declined to oppose the late Sir William, then Mr William Pearse. He was also for some years an honorary member of the executive of the Liberal Party of North Ayrshire and as an indication of the estimation in which he was held by his professional brethren, it may be mentioned that he was elected as their representative in Lloyds new sub-committee by the Institution of Naval Architecture. He was married to Miss Jessie Caldwell of Boydstone, Ardrossan, who died while they were resident on the Pacific coast and her death was a great blow to him. She was survived by one daughter but she also died about then years ago, another daughter predeceasing her. Two of Mr Bryce-Douglas's sisters remain with many devoted friends to mourn his sudden and unexpected death. The funeral took place on Wednesday (8 April 1891). In accordance with the expressed wish of the deceased, it was strictly private and beyond the two male relatives, the trustees, representatives of the Barrow works, one of the directors representing the board, and a representative of the Canadian Pacific Railway only a few intimate friends were present. The day was one of the finest of the season and all along the route from Seafield to the cemetery, crowds of townspeople had gathered to see the cortege pass. Before the coffin was placed in the hearse, the Reverend J D McCall of the New Parish Church (shown above right as Barony Saint John's Church in 2009) conducted a brief but impressive service and shortly thereafter the sad procession began. Eleven mourning coaches followed the hearse and upon the coffin and in those coaches in which the blinds were not drawn, beautiful wreaths of flowers could be seen. As a public tribute to the memory of the deceased, the shops in the town were closed between the hours of one and two and the bell of the New Parish Church, of which he was a trustee, tolled. The wreaths were given by Mr Samson Fox; Mr and Mrs Bagshawe, Leeds; Lord and Lady Edward Cavendishe, Holker Hall; Sir James Ramsden, Abbotswood, Furness Abbey; Mr and Mrs Evans, Furness Abbey; Mr and Mrs E H Clarke, Haverthwaite; Mr Joseph Mitchell, Rotherham; commercial staff; managers and secretaries; draughtsmen; patternmakers; joiners; mechanics; boilermakers; shipsmiths department; plumbers; foremen of the shipbuilding department; caulkers of the shipbuilding department; engineers and brass finishers; platers and angle-ironsmiths; riveters and shipwrights of the Naval Construction and Armaments Company Limited, Barrow-in-Furness; tradesmen of Barrow; managers and officials of the Barrow Hermatite Steel Company; president of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company; Mr H Maitland Kersey of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company; Dr and Mrs Macdonald, Ardrossan; Mr and Mrs McCulloch, Liverpool; Mr Thomas Reynolds, London; Mr Daniel Taylor, Liverpool; Mrs Adamson, Barrow; Sir William Pearse, Govan; relatives and men- and women-servants at Seafield. Among those present at the funeral were Mr Robert Harvey, London; Mr Albert Vickers, London; Mr Asplan Beldam of London; Mr R Ewing, Burnbrae, Perth, cousin of the deceased; Mr James Caldwell, Blackshaw, brother-in-law of the deceased; Messrs A M McCulloch, Liverpool; Alexander Comrie, Dalry, trustees; Mr James Wylie, Border Farm, Saltcoats; Mr John Wylie, Mayfield Farm, Stevenston; Messrs C Dunderdale, Glasgow; Alexander Macdowall, Glasgow; Mr R McAlpine, Bearsden; Dr Macdonald, Ardrossan; Mr Hugh F Weir of Kirkhall; Messrs Henry Benham, director; A Adamson, managing director, pro tem; Archibald Buchanan, shipyard manager; John Macgregor, engineworks manager; John Hair, engineworks assistant manager, Naval Construction and Armament Company, Barrow; Robert Neil, private secretary; James Reid, shipbuilder, Port Glasgow; George Napier, 9 Woodside Place, Glasgow; Samson Fox, Leeds Forge, Leeds; R Le Doux, Liverpool; J Blair, Glasgow; James Mutter, Meiklelaught; A Stewart, 17 Park Terrace, Glasgow; H Maitland Kersey, Canadian Pacific Railway Company, London; John McPherson, Blantyre Farm; James M McCosh, solicitors, Dalry; John Walker, Falkland Bank, Partickhill, Glasgow; James Weir of the firm G and J Weir, Glasgow; Robert K Gray, London; Arthur Guthrie, editor, Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, Ardrossan; Reverend William Ross Brown, MA, Saltcoats; Mr Richard Cunliffe, Glasgow and Mr J Scarlett, Furness Abbey. Many expression of sympathy have been received by the relatives and the board of the Barrow Company met specially on Tuesday (7 April 1891) and a resolution of sympathy, drawn up by the Marquis of Hartington, the chairman, was unanimously passed and specially conveyed to the relatives.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 10 April 1891

Archibald Douglas Bryce-Douglas's gravestone in Ardrossan Cemetery is shown above. The inscription is 'Erected by A D Bryce-Douglas in loving memory of his wife, Jessie Caldwell who died at Calleo, 27 April 1865, aged 30 and their daughter, Jessie who died 4th March 1881, aged 12; also his father-in-law, William Caldwell, Boydstone who died 14th July 1886, aged 78 and his wife Jean Simpson who died 14th May 1889, aged 78; also their children John who died at Calleo, 9th April 1868, aged 25, Annie who died 19th April 1885, aged 26, Margaret who died 6th January 1890, aged 36; the said A D Bryce-Douglas died 5th April 1891, aged 50; Jeanie, daughter of the said William Caldwell died 1st August 1901, aged 60'.

The remains of Mr Bryce-Douglas were interred in Ardrossan Cemetery on Wednesday of last week (8 May 1891) and on each succeeding day, crowds visited the grave to look upon the floral wreaths sent from workmen and friends to testify respect for the memory of the dead. On Sabbath (12 April 1891), the numbers who visited the cemetery were unusually large, the visitors having to wait for some time before they could get near enough to the railing. The like magnificent wreaths had never before been seen here and what greatly added to the interest and touched the onlookers most was that the finest and most beautiful of all the tributes to the worth of the departed, as noticed last week, were sent by the departments of the Barrow Yard. The floral wreaths were costly, chaste and beautiful and were made up of the choicest of orchids, tuberoses, eucharis, lilies, gardenias, splendid nephetos roses, lily of the valley, freesias, lilium harrisii, stephanotes, cyclamen, white azalea and rhododendrons, camellias, carnations, white lilac, arum lilies, white narcissus, double white primulus, myrtle and choice ferns. White and coloured porcelain wreaths, all under glass globes, have also been sent by the boilermakers, joiners, mechanics of the shipyard department, patternmakers of the engineering department and from the workmen of the shipsmiths department all resting upon marble pedestals.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 17 April 1891
The picture was 'per favour of The Barrow News'.

The First Ardrossan Detachment
of the Boys' Brigade will be inspected in the Ardrossan Academy playground tomorrow afternoon (16 May 1891) by the honourable Greville Richard Vernon, member of parliament. The company numbers about sixty, and with the recollection of the pleasant ceremony witnessed in connection with the same event last year, we recommend our local readers to avail themselves of the officers' invitation, through our advertising columns to be present.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 15 May 1891

    Oh death, fell tyrant, yet the friend of man
    We bow to thee whom we must all obey
    No power on earth can stay thy ruthless hand
    But thou shalt yet be honoured in eternitY
        Another victim in thy grasp has gone
        Heedless of his brilliant powers or short-lived years
        At thy command he left us all alone
        To mourn his loss and bathe ourselves in tears
    His manly form nor yet his pleasant smile
    Can greet nor welcome us for evermore
    Gone from amongst us for a little while
    But oh we'll meet him yet upon a happier shore
        Farewell, dear Bryce, may your memory live
        In loving hearts for many, many years
        Though summoned hence by Him who reigns above
        We drop upon thy grave our bitter, bitter tears
    He needs no flower to deck his peaceful grave
    Nor yet a stone to mark his last abode
    His memory is on loving hearts engraved
    His soul now resteth surely with his God

His old shipmate, John Fyfe, Johnstone, 1 June 1891
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 19 June 1891

The very excellent saltwater baths, hot or cold, which may be had from Mr Jackson, the obliging bathman in charge have been greatly taken advantage of this season. This is not surprising for the pleasure afforded and the benefit derived are equally strong factors in inducing repeat visits. Everything pertaining is in perfect order and the visitors to Ardrossan ought to avail themselves of the facilities provided.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28 August 1891

At a meeting of the directors of the Ardrossan Harbour Company held in Glasgow yesterday, it was resolved to formally open the new docks for traffic on Tuesday 20 October. A large number of invitation will be issued to traders and others to witness the ceremony and the event will be a memorable one in the annals of Ardrossan. We trust the townspeople will not be slow to show their appreciation of the benefit conferred upon the town by the undertaking. But for the enlargement of the harbour, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway would not have been in the district and but for these two enterprises, the days of Ardrossan as a commercial centre were numbered. The handwriting was on the wall. Fortunately, the decadence was averted. We would suggest the appointment of a representative committee who will be responsible for making such arrangements as will unmistakably demonstrate the community's recognition of the Harbour Company's undertaking as a boon and a blessing.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 11 September 1891
Despite the headline, Eglinton Dock did not open till 12 April 1892.

A smoking concert under the auspices of the Ardrossan Bowling, Curling and Lawn Tennis Clubs promises to be held in the Eglinton Hotel (shown below in the early 1960s) on Friday tonight (2 October 1891) be a success. A good programme has been prepared and on the same evening, the prizes competed for this season will be presented.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 2 October 1891

The bell-buoy which was driven high up on the North Beach, Ardrossan (shown below in the early 1910s) by the storm last week was safely floated on Wednesday (21 October 1891). It was first raised by means of jack-screws after which twelve-inch planks were inserted and it was borne on rollers far down the beach and floated when the tide rose.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 23 October 1891

These were quietly opened by the Commissioners last Saturday (24 October 1891). They drove from the Eglinton Hotel (shown two above in the early 1960s) about two o'clock in the afternoon and they were joined by the farmers on the water shed when they arrived. The weather was splendid, breathing more of spring than of late autumn. The water was turned on and the party were highly satisfied with the result of Mr Urquhart's labours. Provost Hogarth was presented with the usual silver cup. The works have cost about £4000 and have already been minutely described in the Herald. Lunch took place in the Mill Glen house. The construction was from the plans of the well-known firm of Messrs Leslie and Reid, Edinburgh. The contractor for the construction was Mr James Urquhart, Glasgow; piping - Messrs McLaren and Son, Port Eglinton Foundry, Glasgow; valves - Glenfield Company, Kilmarnock and washing boxes and appliances - Mr William Young, Ardrossan. Full pressure is now enjoyed by the houses in the upper reaches of the town. After leaving the water works, the party visited the new exhauster at the gas works. This exhauster cost about £200 and the whole, including engine and boilers was supplied by Mr William Young, Ardrossan. Now that the new filters are in operation, Ardrossan has a water supply of which any town might be proud.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 30 October 1891

The usual meeting of the Association was held in the Free Church Hall (shown below left as Saint John's Church in 1913) on Wednesday last (11 November 1891). There was a large attendance, Reverend Allan Cameron, MA (shown below right), presiding. Mr J D Fullarton read an interesting and exhaustive paper on our postal system, tracing the development in a graphic and masterly manner and dwelling at considerable length upon the introduction of the penny post. A few remarks by several of the members followed the reading of the paper.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 November 1891

It is so seldom that we hear of Ardrossan being held up to other burghs as a model worthy of imitation that we hail with delight a certificate of merit that has come from the burgh of Oban. Some time ago, Mr John Alcorn, burgh surveyor there, visited a number of burghs on the west coast at the request of the Commissioners to gather information as to the cleaning methods adopted. In a communication to our Mr Balmer, dated 2 November, he states " I have intimated to the Police Commissioners here that Ardrossan was the cleanest town I visited.". Good for Ardrossan! Mr Alcorn's opinion is something to be proud of and we trust the cleansing department will be energised by the compliment and continue to deserve such a eulogium.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 November 1891

Mr William Wallace, Ardrossan, after a short course of study with Messrs J M Sothern and Son, Glasgow, has passed the Board of Trade examination for first-class engineer. Mr Wallace has not to undergo the ordeal twice. It was his first attempt.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 November 1891

Mr Gavin Cross, Ardrossan, third officer on board the steamship Siberian, who formed one of the seven who rescued the shipwrecked crew of the schooner, Little Wonder, which was shipwrecked on the North Atlantic on 24 September last has been awarded a bronze medal and a sum of money by the Board of Trade.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 November 1891

Mr Hugh Hogarth, steamship owner, Ardrossan and Glasgow, has purchased a fine new steamer of 2400 tons deadweight, now in course of construction on 'spec' by Sir R Dixon and Company at Middlesborough as an addition to the Baron Line. The price paid for the steamer was about £31500.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 20 November 1891

At the Burgh Court on Monday (30 November 1891), before Provost Hogarth and Bailie Young, four boys were charged with throwing mud in Glasgow Street, Ardrossan (shown below in the early 1900s) to the danger and annoyance of passengers. They were convicted and three who were old offenders were fined five shillings and the fourth two shillings and sixpence.

            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 4 December 1891

On Tuesday last (8 November 1891), Constable James Stewart of the Ardrossan Burgh Police was removed to Tarbolton. Constable Stewart was well-known in the district and by his departure, a capable and zealous officer has been lost to the burgh. He is a native of Lanark, we believe, in which town his father was formerly and brother is now, inspector.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 11 December 1891

At the Kilmarnock Sheriff Court on Saturday (5 December 1891), a man and his brother-in-law, both furnace keepers, Ardeer Square, Stevenston, were examined and committed on a charge of having on the 4 December, near Ardeer Blast Furnace, savagely assaulted another furnace keeper, residing in the square, by kicking him repeatedly on the head and body whereby these were severely brusied and discoloured and one of the ribs on the left side broken. The offence against the first man was aggravated by previous convictions for assault. We understand that the victim had given evidence against them in a case in the local court and they took this as a means of retaliating.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 11 December 1891


The Reverend J L King, MA, preached on this subject to a large congregation in Ardrossan Independent Church on Sabbath last (13 December 1891). The theme was ably dealt with.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 18 December 1891

Mr Andrew Allan, Ardrossan, has again been successful at the School of Art, obtaining first prize for best series of time sketches from the life and first for best chalk studies of drapery arranged on a model.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 25 December 1891
Andrew Allan was born in Ardrossan in 1863, was a student of the Glasgow School of Art from 1882 to 1896 and went on to become an acknowledged lithographic artist. He was also mentioned in the Heralds of 3 February 1893, 16 March 1900 , 30 March 1900 and 18 January 1901.