The photograph shows Ardrossan Ensign Football Club in 1889.  From top left to bottom right,the men are Alexander Craig, Hugh McLean, H Raeburn, M Aitken, John Gibson, secretary J M Comrie, W Bain; J Greig, John Barbour, Alexander Allan, Colin McNicol, William Craig; Andrew Nicol, David Kinnear and James Alexander.

Ardrossan is a town in Ayrshire, Scotland. The first formal football match in Ardrossan was played on 17 September 1870 at Clutha Park, a field between Glasgow Street and Paisley Street, in what is now Young Street.
That first team was called Ardrossan Castle Football Club and was one of several founded then disbanded before the town's current and longest-lasting club, Ardrossan Winton Rovers, was formed in 1900. This website gives details of these clubs.

First-time visitors might consider using the glossary before browsing further.