In season 1910-11, Winton Rovers had a successful run in the Scottish Junior Cup and reached the semi-final which they lost to the eventual winners.

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Teams Cry Quits
         Locally, much interest was evinced in this Scottish tie if we are to judge from the large number of enthusiasts who accompanied the Rovers on their mission of warfare (on 8 April 1911). The Glasgow and South-Western 'special' which left Ardrossan, stopping at South Beach, Saltcoats, Stevenston and Kilwinning, was well-packed and the company was a good-hearted one.
         The attendance of spectators at Love Street was a record one for a junior match in Paisley, the Petershill team having also a large following. With both sides at full strength, a stirring contest was anticipated and in this respect, the spectators were not altogether disappointed. Petershill were the first to open the scoring department through Logan but his reverse did not upset the Rovers in any way and had they equalised later, it would have been no more than they deserved for at this stage, they played the better football. Fate and a good defence, however, were against them and at the interval, Petershill held their one goal advantage. Judging from the play shown and the fact that only a single goal separated the sides, the game was felt to be either team's. Brisk play was the order and each goal was now and again jeopardised but the respective defences answered to all the calls made upon them.
The Rovers' centre was given every chance to equalise but he failed to take advantage of his opportunities while the Petershill attack, dangerous enough at times, were always forced back empty-handed. Time became beautifully less and it looked as if the Rovers were to sustain their first cup defeat of the season and, at the same time, make their exit from the Scottish running but no, for in the closing minutes, Orr saved the situation by registering the equalising point and the game ended in a draw of one goal each.
         What The Mite Says - Had the Winton Rovers lost the tie, as they looked like doing almost up the closing kick of the match, it would certainly have been hard lines for the Ayrshire laddies who were quite the equals of their Glasgow rivals and had very bad luck almost throughout the contest. The attendance of the general public, supplemented by large contingents from Springburn and Ardrossan, was very gratifying, the gate receipts amounting to £83 3s 6d which at 3d and 1d represents an attendance of close on 8000 people.
         At the outset, the Rovers were terribly nervous while the Glasgow lads gave no evidence of excitement and at once settled down to the traditional cup game - long kicking and passing with fast following up and this had the effect of unsettling the Rovers' defence. Ten minutes of strenuous work had been done, the bulk of the pressing by Petershill, when, after splendid shots by Logan and Turnbull, the first-named got a great chance and promptly scored a clever goal. The Ardrossan lads replied strongly but McArthur and Main were in great form, the burly left-back saving grandly after Traynor has missed his kick. The forwards were very active but the defenders kept them well in check while the goalkeepers smartly disposed of several likely shots. At the interval, Petershill held their lead of one goal to nil.
         In the second half, McAsh and Orr changed places but still ill-luck followed the Rovers who had plenty of chances but finished badly. Orr seemed certain to score but put too much spin on the ball which curled away in the direction of the corner flag. Overend missed a good chance of putting the result beyond doubt and Logan several times shot with great power. Time wore on and the Rovers looked a beaten team with only five minutes to go. McAsh, Orr and Goodwin failed with glorious chances but, at a couple of minutes from the finish, a desperate rally and exciting scramble near the Glasgow goal ended in McAsh putting the sides on an equality. Just after this, Petershill looked like scoring but the danger was averted and the ball lay in midfield when Referee Shanks sounded the whistle.
         For Rovers, Pringle kept an excellent goal but both Ferguson and Bennett have done better. The rushing tactics of the Petershill forwards severely tested the Ardrossan backs who were only beginning to gather confidence in the closing stages of the play. The outstanding player on the field was Captain Steel of Ardrossan. He played splendidly all through and reminded me of another great Scottish semi-finalist, Weir of Kilwinning Rangers and now of Saint Mirren. McCreadie displayed considerable pluck and dash but was terribly weak in placing. Bannatyne, without being particularly brilliant, played a useful game, a feature of his play being the care with which he passed the ball to the right-wingers. With the exception of McIntosh, all the Rovers' forwards were weak in tactics. With more concentration on goal such as the Glasgow men displayed, the Rovers would almost certainly have won the match. McIntosh and Mess with Goodwin occasionally clever, were the most useful men. McAsh scored the goal but Orr ought to have got the ball past Main long before the last three minutes of the tie. The game will be replayed at Love Street, Paisley, on Saturday 22 April and another great match is certain.
         Bitmark's Opinion - The result, I consider, is highly satisfactory, both from a financial and a playing standpoint. If anything, Petershill, who played the stronger, forcing game, were the ever-so-slightly better team on the day and the side which gave the more convincing display when in the vicinity of their opponents' goal. Midway through the first half, I was of the opinion that the tie was even this early won for if the Ayrshire defence seemed good enough to cope successfully with the now less capable Petershill forwards - Train had gone lame - the Winton attack never struck me as being likely to get the better of Main and that attack also carried its lame duck for McAsh, who was destined to ultimately pull the match out of the fire, had already frittered away a couple of fine chances and Orr twice as many. The wings on occasion showed pretty enough football but most of this was neutralised by the very impotence of the centre-forward who, when he did not lose any advantage gained by undue attention to his opponents, generally contrived to work himself into an offside position with, of course, a disastrous result to his side. Following the example set by their opponents - swinging the ball about from wing to wing - Ardrossan came more into the picture in the closing half-hour and at the time - three minutes to go - when their goal did come, they were slightly the better side.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 14 April 1911

Scottish Cup Semi-Final Replayed Tie - Another Drawn Battle

         For the second time, the above combinations lined up at Love Street Grounds, Paisley on Saturday (22 April 1911) in order to determine who should figure in the final tie for the national cup. On this occasion, the crowd was of larger dimensions than on the first meeting of the teams and the supporters of both clubs were out in strong numbers, these being conveyed to Paisley per special trains. That this undecided Scottish tie has created a widespread interest will be readily admitted when it is said that the spectators numbered 10000 last Saturday which says a great deal for junior football as now played in these parts.
         Both teams have every reason to feel thankful for the hearty support accorded them in their last two Scottish engagements and our fond hope is that on 6 May, the better combination will qualify for the final. On Saturday's play, the Rovers claimed superiority and Petershill, like their opponents in the first game, were lucky in averting defeat in the closing minutes. We give the opinions of the following critics.
         What The Mite Says - Love Street, Paisley, has proved a good thing for Petershill and Winton Rovers and as the teams have still to meet for the third time on the same ground, it is apparent that the semi-final will set these clubs on their feet. On 8 April, £83 odds was drawn. On Saturday, the takings were fully £90, representing an attendance of close on ten thousand. Petershill had Bruce Cunningham on the right in place of Tran and the Rovers were at full strength despite the fact that Goodwin had been reported unfit. With a fairly strong breeze behind, the Ardrossan team had nearly all the play in the first half but thanks to fine defence by Traynor, McArthur and Main, not a single goal had been scored up to the interval.
         The Ardrossan forwards, McAsh, Mess and McIntosh particularly gave a fine exhibition of sustained work but all of them were weak at goal. On the other hand, the Springburn forwards seldom troubled Pringle but when they did, there was generally more sting in their shooting. When the sides changed ends without a goal having been scored, Petershill looked to have a great chance but in the first minute, McIntosh got clear away on the left and, centring accurately, he left Orr with nothing to do but shoot the ball past Main at close range. It was after this that the best work was done. Petershill made desperate efforts to equalise, Turnbull, Logan and Fraser working very hard but Ferguson and Bennett played magnificently and were backed up by as fine a trio of half-backs as has been seen in the junior game this season.
         The Rovers were not idle, Mess and McIntosh fine work against the wind. With only a minute left for play, the spectators were leaving the field when Turnbull, who had crossed over to the right, sent the ball across the Rovers' goal and Logan, rushing up, headed a great goal and saved the match. It was a great finish to a splendid game. The game was one of the best I have witnessed this season and was greatly enjoyed by the spectators. Winton Rovers were certainly the more polished lot and had their shooting been equal to their outfield play, there would have been no need for a replay. Main kept a good goal but risks a lot in his encounters with the opposing forwards. Traynor, though often hard-pressed, played pluckily throughout and McArthur never worked harder in a cup-tie.
         The Petershill backs and goalkeeper deserve credit for a first-class display. The Petershill half-backs did not shine. Stark was good and bad by turns. Kyle had a hard job against McIntosh and McAsh while Faulds, who played in gentlemanly style, has been seen to greater advantage. Logan, who created a very favourable impression in the previous game, was allowed little rope by McCreadie and, bar Turnbull, the Glasgow forwards were very moderate. Pringle did not get much to do, so clever and resourceful were Ferguson and Bennett. The Rovers' right back excelled himself and played perhaps his best game since he joined the Ardrossan club. McIntosh, Mess and McAsh were the best forwards but all played well in the outfield. In shooting, however, the side is deficient but it must be remembered that the tackling of the Petershill defenders was vigorous and allowed little time for manoeuvring.
         Bitmark's Opinion - As was the case in the Scottish Junior Cup semi-final tie at Paisley a fortnight ago (on 8 April 1911), the cup of victory was again ruthlessly dashed from the lips of one of the contestants in the closing minutes of the replay on the Saint Mirren field. In this latest instance, though, the order of scoring was reversed for whereas on the former occasion, Petershill were all but acclaimed Scottish Cup finalists for the first time in the history of the club, it was this time the turn of Ardrossan Winton Rovers to have the successful fruition of their afternoon's arduous labours snatched form their very grasp, as it were, just on the post.
         As a matter of fact, the Rovers, as they ought, had much the better of the opening portion and in keeping their goal from falling during that period, Petershill were more than a trifle fortunate. Orr's success proved the one thing needful to stir up the Rovers for the remaining part of the contest which was productive of play of a much higher order than that exhibited in the previous match. In marked contrast to the excited Petershill players, who wrought strenuously but to little purpose, the Winton lads were confident to a degree.
         Fortified by their lead, which they strained every nerve to retain, Ardrossan were quick to realise that their best mode of defence was to attack as often as possible. International Goodwin, who Secretary Skillen told me, should not have been in the team, did what little he could in his unfit condition to lead out the attack and keep the pressure off the rear line. Mess, however, made up for any shortcomings of his partner whether on the line or in the inside, the extreme wing player always made ground by his strong and resourceful play. Orr, who has immortalised himself by scoring in both games improved on his previous showing while McAsh did very well after the interval. Had he kept McIntosh plied with the ball as he should in the first half, then I fear Petershill would now have nothing more than a watching interest in the Scottish Cup competition. Petershill's equalising goal, scored by Logan's header two minutes from the end was cleverly engineered and created unbound delights among the Springburn club's supporters. Had this goal not materialised, I am confident that few of the cooler heads among the two thousand odd supporters of the Glasgow club present would have questioned the right of Ardrossan to contest the final stage so cleverly did that team comport itself.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28 April 1911

         The undecided semi-final between the two Ardrossan clubs is to be played to a finish next Saturday (6 May 1911) at Stevenston. An extra hour was fixed as the limit and in the event of a draw, the game is to be played on the Tuesday following (9 May 1911). If possible, the final is to be played on 6 May. Mr Stark of Airdrie was fixed as the referee for the final and Mr Nisbet of Edinburgh as reserve. It was left to the sub-committee to revise the rules. The drawings at the Charity Cup Final in which Glenbuck defeated Ardeer by five to two amounted to £4 18s 2d. The following games in the Charity Cup completion were arranged by the sub-committee.
   Muirkirk v Glenbuck Cherrypickers
   Newmilns v Darvel
   Ardrossan Celtic v Kilwinning Rangers
   Riccarton Juniors v Kilmarnock Hibs
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28 April 1911
Additional time nowadays lasts for half an hour. An hour's extra time must have been very demanding on the players.

         Tomorrow, Saturday (6 May 1911), will be another day of importance with Ardrossan Winton Rovers and their supporters, the occasion being their third meeting at Love Street, Paisley with Petershill in their twice-drawn Scottish Cup semi-final tie. As on the two former occasions, a special train will leave the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Station, Ardrossan at 2.20 pm for Paisley which, for the convenience of supporters and others will stop at South Beach, Saltcoats and Stevenston only. Passengers can return per special from Paisley Gilmour Street at 6.15 pm or any of the ordinary trains. It is expected the Rovers will have another big following, the return fare being the usual 2s. Having qualified for the Ayrshire final, the next fond hope of many in the county is that Winton Rovers will dispose of Petershill tomorrow and qualify for the Scottish final. May the third time prove lucky as was the case last Saturday (22 April 1911) at Stevenston. In the event of a draw, an extra half hour will be played.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 5 May 1911


         The above is a photo of officials and members of the Ardrossan Winton Rovers Football Club. On Tuesday night (9 May 1911), the Rovers were defeated by Petershill in the semi-final for the Scottish Junior Cup after drawing three times. The team are also finalists for the Ayrshire Challenge Cup and semi-finalists for the Irvine and District and Irvine Herald Cups.
         Reading from left to right, the names of those in the group are:
back row - W Simm, James Barbour, Fred Whyte, Charles Price, Ronald Bannatyne, Fred McGregor, Thomas Pringle, Robert Smith, Alex Ferguson, Gavin Love, Robert McCreadie, Donald Flockhart, Alex Gibson, Hugh Braniff, James Templeton, David Orr, Duncan McLeish and Bailie McKellar.
front row - H McLachlan, Thomas Vance, Robert Mess, John Goodwin, James Steel, John Bennett, William McIntosh, John McAsh and John Armstrong.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 12 May 1911

Another Draw
         On Saturday last (6 May 1911), the above teams met at Love Street, Paisley for the third time in order to decide which should take part in the national final. That the interest in the game had increased rather than diminished was shown in the attendance which numbered close on 12000, the receipts amounting to £115 3s 3d as against £80 odds at the first game and £92 a couple of weeks ago. The teams were:
Petershill - Main; Traynor and McArthur; Caddens, Faulds and Stark; Overend, Miller, Logan, Turnbull and Fraser.
Winton Rovers - Pringle; Ferguson and Bennett; Bannatyne, McCreadie and Steel; Mess, Goodwin, Gibson, McAsh and McIntosh.
         The referee was Mr W Shanks of Falkirk. The Scottish Referee says 'No matter which club now qualifies to meet Burnbank in the final, Petershill and Winton Rovers have had a splendid financial harvest and have given the public a magnificent treat in sustained, clever and exciting football.' Against the wind in the first half, the Rovers had the better of the argument but weak finishing and a sound, reliable defence on the part of Petershill prevented a score. Gibson, the new centre, opened well and kept the wings well supplied but just when a goal seemed certain, either Traynor or McArthur appeared to spoil the plot. When only some twelve minutes had gone, Petershill came into the picture and although they were smartly repulsed by Ferguson, a second attempt had better luck, Miller scoring after Pringle had twice turned the ball aside. It was a somewhat lucky goal which Bennett might have prevented. To the interval, play ruled fairly even, first the one side and then the other being dangerous, but no more goals accrued.
         In the second half, the Ardrossan lads monopolised the play and attack followed attack without success until the spectators began to give up hope of the Ayrshire men being able to break down the magnificent defence of the Glasgow side. Only ten minutes remained for play when a desperate rally by the Rovers ended in Goodwin beating Main to the great joy of the Ayrshire brigade. Just after this, the Ayrshire forwards had a couple of glorious chances but failed to take advantage of them and time arrived with the score one each. After a short rest, the players turned out to play and extra half-hour. Fraser, who had been hurt in the first half, was of little use and several of the other players displayed signals of distress. After seven minutes play, Fraser whipped across the ball and Overend beat Pringle, the defence being again at fault. Just after this, McIntosh made a great single-handed run and scored the finest goal of the match. From this to the end, the Rovers were continually dangerous but the shooting was poor and the end came with the teams still on level terms, two goals each.
         On the run of the play, there should have been no need for the extra half-hour. Winton Rovers had the game in hand in the second half but, as in the two previous games, the shooting lacked power and the Springburn defence kept a firm hand on the Rovers' forwards. Main kept a good goal although he was rather at fault when Goodwin equalised. No finer work has been seen this season than that of Traynor and McArthur, both of whom played magnificently, saving the side time after time in brilliant style. Caddens, Faulds and Stark were also in fine form. Caddens worked hard against McIntosh. Stark played like a veteran and Faulds did his work splendidly. The middle line has not done better this season. The inclusion of Miller improved the forward play of the Glasgow club. He brought out Overend in great style, the League internationalist playing his best game of the season. Turnbull also did well but Logan and Fraser were not so good as usual. Pringle had little to do. Ferguson played magnificently but Bennett was erratic and seemed to get excited when hard pressed. Bannatyne carried off the honours at half-back but both McCreadie and Steel played cleverly all through the game. In his first game of importance, Gibson did well at centre. McIntosh was the best forward on the field and although he got a lot of attention from Caddens and Traynor, he contrived to give them the slip many times. Mess is clever, if weak at goal and Goodwin can always be relied upon to give his mates openings for shooting. McAsh did not come into the picture until late in the game but his play in the last half hour atoned for many previous mistakes. In the three games thus played, close on £300 has been drawn.
         Bitmark in the Daily Record says - Ardrossan, playing much better than they have yet done in this protracted tie, had most of the game and thoroughly deserved a victory but for quite a while after Petershill got that somewhat lucky, but none the less plucky goal through Miller, thirteen minutes from the start, I was convinced that they would just manage to retain their lead. If their forward play compared unfavourably with that of their opponents, their defence was well-nigh perfect while, with the single exception of Stark, who seemed to lose his head on occasion, the entire side seemed confident enough to accomplish anything. A regrettable mishap to Fraser, which caused his retiral for the five minutes immediately preceding the interval, had a far-reaching effect on the play of the team as a whole but even before he was injured, the attack never showed the ability of that exhibited by the corresponding division on the Rovers' side.
         The injured left-winger should never have re-appeared yet he made this third draw possible for it was from his clever centre - he was suffering intense pain at the moment - that Overend, assisted by Bennett, the Rovers' left-back, got Petershill's second goal when the extra half hour was six minutes old but it was really the respective defences that prevented Ardrossan from winning outright. Their own contributed not a little towards the scoring of Petershill's goal while Main, Traynor and McArthur made goal-getting for them an extremely difficult task. This trio withstood their second half pressure manfully. Main actually had a grip of, but could not hold, Goodwin's header from McIntosh's magnificent centre which brought the first equaliser seven minutes from the close of the statutory hour and a half.
         The last goal of the match was the extreme left-winger's very own, though echoes of the plaudits which greeted Overend's success had scarcely died away when McIntosh, getting possession well out, careered single-handedly up the field and while Caddens and Traynor were discussing which should tackle him, he slammed the ball past Main. Ferguson, Bannatyne, Steel and McCreadie, the half-backs in the order named, and all the forwards with McIntosh and Mess outstanding, were Ardrossan's best and Petershill were admirably served by Main, McArthur and Traynor and, in a much lesser degree, by Caddens, Faulds, Miller, Logan and Turnbull. I cannot, however, finish without referring to the clever work done by the Ardrossan Academy centre-forward. His inclusion in the Rovers' team was fully justified by his play.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 12 May 1911

Rovers Beaten

         After six and a half hours strenuous football - this was the fourth meeting - Petershill qualified on Tuesday night (9 May 1911) at the Saint Mirren Grounds, Paisley to oppose Burnbank Athletic in the final of the Scottish Junior Cup competition. In a keenly-contested game, the losers throughout showed the finer play in the outfield but once within hail of the Petershill defence, their wits almost invariably seemed to desert them. Chances of scoring came their way thrice for every one the Springburn team had the of opportunity of getting the better of Pringle, yet Petershill scored the only goal of the match five minutes after the start. Ferguson, probably blinded by the sun, mulled what looked like a comparatively simple kick and Logan, getting on, beat Pringle with a fairly easy shot.
         For their victory, Petershill have their defence to thank. Main, and more particularly in the first half, played splendidly but no player approached McArthur, their left-back. Except for a slight lapse near the end when he gave away a penalty which, fortunately for his side, escaped the notice of the referee, his display was faultless. Traynor assisted him nobly. Caddens and Faulds played splendidly in the intermediate line while the inside men, Miller, Logan and Turnbull, were the best of the forwards. Bennett alone of the Ardrossan defence played up to his reputation. The halves, among whom Steel shone to advantage, put up a good fight but without exception, the forwards finished badly. McIntosh, who missed a grand chance in the first half, was the best of the bunch. McAsh and Goodwin did fairly well but Gibson, who showed fairly good ability in the centre, lost several good chances of scoring. He was found too often with his back to his opponents' goal. The gate amounted to £88 3s 3d.
         The teams were:
Petershill - Main; Traynor and McArthur; Caddens, Faulds and Stark; Traynor, Miller, Logan, Turnbull and McIntosh.
Winton Rovers - Pringle; Ferguson and Bennett; Bannatyne, McCreadie and Steel; M Orr, Goodwin, Gibson, McAsh and McIntosh.
            Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 12 May 1911

         The office-bearers of the Scottish Junior Football Association, in their capacity as returning officers, met last night in the Association Rooms, 70 Robertson Street, Glasgow and announced the results of the voting in the divisional elections.  These included:
Ayrshire Division II four seats – R. Hay, Skares Burnock, vice-president.  Successful were D MacNicol, Ayr Woodfield and M Kerr, Ardrossan Celtic.   Owing to a tie for the fourth seat a second vote between J Bell, Ardrossan Winton Rovers and D Cochrane, Kilbirnie Ladeside, is necessary.
Glasgow Herald, 4 July 1911

Liverpool enthusiasts say that their team will make a determined effort to obtain a better position than their neighbours at Goodison Park. Hardy, of course, will again guard the posts while Kenneth Campbell, a Scottish Junior international custodian, will be the reserve goalkeeper. Campbell comes from Cambuslang Rangers, and he is highly spoken of. Longworth and Crawford will probably fill the back positions, while both Chorlton and Rogers are available as reserve defenders. The club is well equipped with halves, for in addition to Robinson, Harrop, and McConnell, H C Lowe, of Gainsborough Trinity, is regarded as a thoroughly capable half. Parkinson will again lead the attack, while Henry Beveridge, the ex-Ardrossan Celtic pivot, is looked upon as a useful player. Other new forwards are J Bovill, who comes from Chesterfield - a man with a great reputation - and D McDonald, a Scottish junior, who is only seventeen years of age.
            Lloyds Weekly News, 27 August 1911
Lloyd's Weekly News was a United Kingdom national newspaper from 1842 to 1931.